This photograph is of an unusual textile technique. One thing that is definitely not required is fraying! However…….
Look to the left! – Yes, it’s starting to happen ……
If you missed my earlier post I hope you will take a look before you leave this site. It relates specifically to today, and refers to someone I love. There’s more to this post below than at first meets the eye, too – so don’t forget to scroll right down too.
This week’s Photo Challenge is ‘Room’. If the family see this they will laugh raucously, I’m sure, because I never have enough. I can fill a space before it is vacated! However, the one place I always ensure that I leave PLENTY of room is in the dyebath!
The fabric needs room to move in the fixing solution. Below are the results of part of the above collection
Incidently, if anyone is near South Wales and is interested in learning a little about dyeing, I’m teaching a day workshop on 14th June at Busy Bees Patchwork in Newport. There are a couple of places left, if you are interested email Busy Bees directly for details. It’s very good value and, apart from having fun, you will learn that it’s simple and logical to create colour on fabric.
Today is the first day of the Be Creative Weekend. Everyone is invited to join – the emphasis is on creativity – and the only ‘obligation’ is to do something for 15 minutes. There is a facebook group, and there are prompts to help if no inspiration is handy. So far I haven’t used any of the prompts – but I have been creative, here’s a picture of something I’ve done
A collection of threads nestling in dyes. Does it qualify? Well, it’s two sets of threes – but the real reason I’ve included it is that each pot contains three different colours! So it’s actually six threes!
I’m committed to being creative this year. I have already started, first of all it’s a question of flexing the creativity muscles, and I’m sure you’ll see something of what I create throughout this year.
As I wrote yesterday we celebrated New Year with some friends. At the last minute I decided to apply some nail varnish. I do wear it from time to time, and have my favourite colours, of course, however I was given an interesting new selection for Christmas, and last night seemed a good chance to try them out. It was long past daylight when I made my decision so the colours didn’t look quite as I remembered them.
Apologies for the reflections, in this bad photo of them still in the box, but if I’d seen them in good light it would have made it easier to make a choice.
I’m used to seeing various colours at the end of my fingers, usually one of many shades of red, but it was a bit of a shock to see them yesterday morning, in daylight, and as I made breakfast.
I promise the rest of my ‘painting’ will be a bit more creative.
Actually, there isn’t any ironing involved for me at this stage, but when it comes to preparation it’s just a question of getting on with it. So, instead of just talking about the new project I’ve actually started it.
The first stage is to work on the back. Yes, the BACK! Why? Well that will become apparent as I get a little further down the road, in the meantime, this will be the back
It’s a piece of wrinkled and crinkled cotton, a very fine cotton, and the texture is as a result of the dyeing process. At the moment it’s just as I want it. It won’t stay that way for ever, you will see how it changes way down the line.
So, the first stage is to tack it to another piece of cotton – one that’s slightly heavier.
This shows how fine the cotton is – it only has to be tacked around the edge at the moment – and I’m almost half way! If I get any further I’ll show you, but not tomorrow, because that is Wordless Wednesday ;)
Little by little I’m getting there. More information